Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chicago Marathon (19.5m)!

***This post was originally written on 10/11/11. However, the program I write my blog with was not compatible with iOS5 and I have been unable to update my blog accordingly. Tonight the program has been fixed & I have a ton to update everyone on. Please enjoy this 'old' post & I will write more soon!!***

This past weekend I traveled to Chicago to run the Chicago Marathon for my weekly training run. I was hoping for cooler temperatures but once again Chicago decided to have a heat wave come though. The temps rose to around 77 degrees. I originally was going to jump in the race at mile 7 (I had a bib) and run until the finish. However, with the high energy that Chicago brings I decided to start the race and run either A) until mile 19 or B) finish the race if I was on track to PR at mile 19 with no nagging pains, etc. I started running with the 3:55 pace group and planned on staying next to them the entire way, but they started running FAST - 8:14 miles, 8:20 miles. The 3:55 pace is 8:58 so this took a toll on me. I stayed on target up until mile 16 and then started drifting back. I continued running and never let the 4 hour pace group get ahead of me. I wasn't going to PR so I pulled out at 19.5 miles in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago.
The Chicago Marathon is an excellent race, I have been a part of it for the past 4 years and my marathon PR was ran there. I can't wait to run the Chicago Marathon again, hopefully it will be cooler when I decide to race it again!

On another note: I received an email from the New York Road Runners Association. They have decided to change the way that you are guaranteed entry to the New York Marathon. At first I was afraid that it was going to prevent me from running it next year, but luckily that is not the case. They are removing the rule where if you get denied 3 times you are guaranteed entry the 4th year (next year is my 4th year so I am guaranteed entry) But they are doing this on a rolling basis. So if 2012 or 2013 is your 4th attempt you are in the clear, 2014...sorry you are going to have to join the lottery every year. I am looking forward to being a part of the New York Marathon next year, even though I hear that I won't PR in NY, it looks Ike an amazing course.

Training this week:

Tuesday I ran a speed workout 5k
Wednesday I ran 6 miles with the Nike Run Club in Atlanta
Thursday I will be running 7 miles along Bayshore Blvd. in Tampa

This weekend I am supposed to get in a 20 mile run, because of some local races the 20 miles is being split up as follows...
Saturday @ 5:30am - 9.5 miles on Davis Islands
Saturday @ 8:00am - 3.1 mile race at University of Tampa
Sunday AM - 15k (9.3 miles) race Aces Wild in Clearwater
Total weekend miles 21.9

I am looking forward to cutting back the mileage next week. Training is still going according to plan & I currently have no nagging pains/injuries to report.

I am ready for Vegas, Disney Goofy & Miami!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment